If you’ve been to PBSKIDS.org recently, you might have noticed that our site, in line with our new, streamlined PBS KIDS brand, has been dramatically reinvented. Drawing inspiration from toys and apps, our goal is to serve the tidal wave of families accessing the web from computers as well as tablets and mobile devices. Among other things, the site takes advantage of fully responsive HTML5 design and CSS animation in ways that go well beyond other kids’ sites.
“Watching kids in testing, we knew we had to start with the tablet when building the new site, and then build it out in a way that would work on screens as small as a mobile phone, and as large as a television” says PBS KIDS’ Vice President of Digital Sara Dewitt. “Through the redesign of PBSKIDS.org, we are continuing to put kids first, leading the children’s media space in providing a safe, non-commercial, engaging environment for kids online.”
With the launch of the new PBSKIDS.org, PBS is moving away from a multi-site strategy and making PBSKIDS.org a single mega-hub for all of its kids’ properties. With more consumers streaming their favorite shows, PBSKIDS.org will continue to put a major emphasis on video content and offer hundreds of videos across dozens of on-air and web-based series, with episodes uploaded weekly.
Some specific points to look out for in the redesign include:
- You and your audience can now access pbskids.org from any browser via a computer, tablet, or smart phone. The site will know what device is being used and smartly display content optimized for that platform.
- We are engaging with parents through a brand-new parent information bar, which offers timely and contextual information for parents, including resources, things to do and tips for families on the go.
- Our new look features the redesigned PBS KIDS brand package, a new style and illustrations by PBS’s very own Chris Bishop.
- Our video player design is now closer to our successful mobile video app, with streamlined character navigation and a larger, high quality video display.
- Our new games page lets kids find their favorites by topic and also highlights harder games, targeting kids who are looking for an extra challenge;
Down the road, we plan to extend these innovative ideas and concepts to stations through rebranded and updated modules. We welcome you to check it out for yourselves and have fun!