Don't forget to register for the Social Media Spotlight webinar on Thursday, August 29th, from 1:30-2:30 p.m ET. The PBS social media team, Kevin Dando and Natalie Benson, will share updates on station social media resources, go over the Simply Measured social media reports, and answer any social media questions you may have.
PBS Station Social Media Welcome Guide
Hello! The PBS Social Media Team (contact info below) is dedicated to supporting local station efforts on social media and we hope this guide will provide an overview of the different resources available to you.
- Please bookmark the PBS Station Social Media Resources folder for future reference: to.pbs.org/stationsmresourcesfolder
Inside the folder, you will find:
- This Welcome Guide: to.pbs.org/stationsmwelcomeguide
- Station Post Request Guidelines Folder: http://to.pbs.org/stationsmrequestsfolder
- PBS Facebook Post Request Guidelines: to.pbs.org/pbsfacebookposts
At any time you may request a geo-targeted post be made on the PBS Facebook page. More details about what they are and how you can ask for them are in this form.
- PBS BCC Post Request Guidelines: http://to.pbs.org/pbsbccpostrequest
If you'd like PBS Black Culture Connection (BCC) to promote something from your station or program on the PBS BCC Facebook page or Twitter account, follow the steps in this document.
- PBS Food Post Request Guidelines: http://to.pbs.org/pbsfoodpostrequest
If you'd like PBS Food to promote something from your station or program on the PBS Food Facebook page or Twitter account, follow the steps in this document.
- PBS/Shows/Stations Social Media Universe: to.pbs.org/pbssocialmediauniverse
This spreadsheet lists all PBS accounts, producer/show accounts, and station accounts, plus information about how many followers and fans each one has. It is updated quarterly.
- Social Media By Stations: to.pbs.org/stationsocialmedia
This spreadsheet lists all of the different accounts that local stations manage.
- Suggested Tweets and Posts: to.pbs.org/suggestedtweetsposts
This folder holds weekly suggested tweets and posts (updated every Friday), and also current priority program suggested tweets and posts.
- Official Program Hashtags: to.pbs.org/programhashtags
This spreadsheet lists all of the official program hashtags that have been approved. We encourage you to use these in all of your social media messaging. (If a show is missing, please email us.)
- Pledge Folder: to.pbs.org/pledgesm
This folder will include links to all the pledge videos on YouTube and Cove, and any other related social media assets.
- Find & Follow Us On:
Facebook - PBS
Twitter - @PBS
Vine - PBS
PBS Digital Studios
Instagram - @PBSofficial
YouTube - PBS
LinkedIn - Public Broadcasting Service
RebelMouse - PBS
Storify - PBS
GetGlue - PBS
Reddit - PBS subreddit
PBSofficial (user account)
PBSdigitalstudios (user account)
PBSFood (user account)
Tumblr - PBStv
Pinterest - PBSofficial
- If You Haven’t Yet:
- Ask to join the PBS & Local Stations / Social Media Marketing & Communications Facebook Group.
This group is intended to promote discussion and education about social media marketing/communications/advertising for those who work in public television, both at the local and national level. To join: click on the link in this paragraph and then look for the “request to join” box toward the upper right corner of the page.
- Discover content by signing up for our different newsletters:
PBS Previews (in the right rail)
PBS Food (in the right rail)
- Subscribe to the SPI Blog for helpful tips, advice and product news, as it happens.
Once a month, the PBS Social Media team will do a blog takeover for a “Social Media Spotlight” that will address topical social media issues and updates, while also sharing tips and tricks with a specific channel focus.
- If you’re planning a real-world event with or without social media, check out the resources we have available on PBS Connect->Communicate Promote->Eventapalooza PBS KIDS. You’ll find the Daniel Tiger and other costume request forms there in addition to easy downloadable resources like “PBS KIDS Event in a Box” an e-folder with signs, slideshows, activities and more. (For event questions, please contact Phil Piga at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-739-8494)
If you have any questions, concerns or ideas, please feel free to contact:
Kevin Dando email@example.com 703.739.5000 @kdando
Natalie Benson firstname.lastname@example.org 703.739.5000 @NatalieNBenson