Welcome to the Weekly PBS Interactive Station Products & Innovation Debrief, designed to give PBS stations a rundown of Interactive updates and opportunities announced this week on our blog.
Aaron Hoffman, Development Officer and Social Media Manager at Rocky Mountain PBS, describes his strategy to jump-start RMPBS's social media presence by utilizing free or very inexpensive methods to drastically increase their following.
Bob Wilson, Executive Producer with Maryland Public Television (MPT), shares his takeaways from their Bento user testing session.
Follow the Links Below to Continue Reading:
- Making new friends: How Rocky Mountain PBS increased their Facebook fan base by 220% in a year
- Part 2: Bento User Testing Takeaways
- Bento is Here: and Coming Soon to a Station Near You
At a Glance:
PBS KIDS Site Retirements: The following PBS KIDS properties are being retired on October 15 and removed from the module section of the PBS Interactive Station Guide. These sites are being retired because their content hasn't been updated in quite a while, parts of the sites (games, pages, etc.) are broken, or they get little to no traffic. Retiring these sites helps to ensure that all the content we're currently featuring and plan on creating as we move forward meets the standard that kids and parents have come to expect from a PBS KIDS Interactive experience. If your station currently links to these pages, please remove the following links.
- Africa for Kids - http://pbskids.org/africa/
- American Experience Wayback - http://pbskids.org/wayback/
- Betsy's Kindergarten Adventures - http://pbskids.org/betsy/
- Big Apple History - http://pbskids.org/bigapplehistory/index-flash.html
- Boobah- http://pbskids.org/boohbah/
- George Shrinks - http://pbskids.org/georgeshrinks/
- History Detectives Kids - http://pbskids.org/historydetectives/
- JayJay - http://pbskids.org/jayjay/
- Jazz - http://pbskids.org/jazz/
- Kratts Creatures - http://pbskids.org/krattscreatures/
- Kids World Sports - http://pbskids.org/kws/
- Mission to Planet 429 - http://pbskids.org/mp429/
- Noddy - http://pbskids.org/noddy/
- Not for Ourselves Alone - http://pbskids.org/stantonanthony/
- Sagwa: - http://pbskids.org/sagwa/
- Share a Story - http://pbskids.org/shareastory/
- Stop and Go - http://pbskids.org/stopandgo/
- Teletubbies - http://pbskids.org/teletubbies/
- Wonders of the African World - http://pbskids.org/wonders/
Join DEI's YPpubmedia Group: YPpubmedia is a new group dedicated to fostering national networks for Young Professionals (35 or under) who are working in public media. YPpubmedia is committed to connecting those fairly new to their career across all departments and disciplines. DEI kicked off YPpubmedia at this year's PMDMC in Seattle--and so far they've had a great response. If you'd like to hear more from this group, share your information here.
iMA 2013 Registration is Live: This year's event on March 6-7 will share the boldest industry innovations. iMA plans to bring in strategies and tools from sources external to public media and address tough questions about the future, while focusing on their mission of providing a public service. Those of you who plan on going to SXSW Interactive will also have access to discounted SXSW Interactive coupons from iMA as in previous years. Register today.