Welcome to the Weekly PBS Interactive Station Products & Innovation Debrief, designed to give PBS stations a rundown of Interactive updates and opportunities announced this week on our blog.
Going into its second year, PBS.org is recruiting six stations to participate in its 2013 Online Film Festival. Building off the success of its inaugural run in March 2012, the 2013 festival will feature more films and more content partners – there is a call for entries from PBS stations.
DISQUS, a turnkey commenting product available to your station at no additional cost beyond your member dues, has released an upgrade that looks to introduce a host of new and updated features.
Compiled from the latest research by leading outlets including comScore and Pew, this resource provides an overview of mobile platforms, users, and usage in the mobile landscape.
At the recent State of Now/#140 conf, host and social media innovator Jeff Pulver, gathered together social media advocates and enthusiasts from all walks of life to sit, listen, and share their stories with one another.
@PBSInterns explore tools that can improve your social metrics, tips to manage a social media community, techniques that will make videos more shareable, as well as a new social media website called news.me.
PBS Interactive welcomed the Digital Opportunities Task Force for a two-day in-person meeting at PBS headquarters in Arlington, VA.
Follow the Links Below to Keep Reading:
- PBS.org Seeks Stations for Online Film Festival Program Pilot
- Introducing DISQUS 2012
- UPDATED Mobile Metrics & Landscape Resource
- #140conf Takeaways Part One: Connecting Through Social Media
- FYI Friday: The Importance of Being Social
- Wordless Wednesday: PBS Welcomes the Digital Opportunities Task Force
At-a-Glance: PBS Interactive Product and Services Updates
- PBS Localization Webinar: July 24, 2:00 - 3:00 PM. PBS Interactive is working on an improved version of our localization algorithm for PBS.org and the PBS mobile apps. This upgrade removes many of the issues currently being experienced because of our heavy dependence on Nielsen data, which has proven to be inconsistent. The improved service will allow us to more accurately auto-localize visitors to pbs.org. Register for the webinar to learn more!
- Online Closed Captioning Webinar: July 25, 3:00 – 4:00 PM ET. PBS Interactive has been working to institute new technology and workflows to help facilitate adding closed caption files for local COVE content. Get the details about the new supported CC formats in COVE, how to get your content ready and next steps you can take now. Register for the webinar for more details.
- #CookForJulia: Do you love Julia Child? See how your station can get involved in PBS Food's multi-platform content and promotional initiative celebrating the life and influence of PBS chef and pioneer Julia Child, who would be celebrating her 100th birthday on August 15, 2012. Continue.